Last Updated and Effective as of: September 5, 2023
1. WHAT INFORMATION IS COLLECTED ON THIS SITE?
We obtain a variety of information from and about you as you use the Site; this Policy covers that information when it is personal data or personal information, as defined by applicable law (“Personal Information”).
If you do not provide information that we need to collect by law, we will not be able to provide services to you. Similarly, if we need certain information from you pursuant to the terms of a contract with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you. In this case, we will not be able to provide services to you.
We may collect Personal Information when you:
- create an account;
- subscribe to our service or publications or make a purchase;
- request marketing be sent to you;
- enter a competition, promotion or survey;
- contact customer service;
- give us feedback; or
- otherwise interact with our Site.
Information You Provide
We collect information that you choose to provide us directly through your use of our Site, including:
- Contact and registration information, which includes name or similar identifiers, postal or physical address, email address, your company or the school with which you are affiliated, your role there (if you are an educator) and telephone number
- Profile information about yourself or your child (if applicable and you provide it) such as your month and day of birth of yourself or your child, your child’s first name, gender and grade, the school they attend
- Financial data and Transaction data, which includes credit card information (tokenized and processed by our payment processors), other payment information and details about your purchases
- Inquiries and feedback, including comments and questions you submit through customer service.
- Photos, videos, audio, and similar information, such as recordings of webinars you attend or other live interactive events you participate in.
- User generated content you create on or upload to our Site.
Information We Collect Through Automated Means
When you use our Site, we collect certain information automatically. We and our service providers (third-party companies that work on our behalf) may use a variety of technologies, including cookies, pixels and similar tools (“Cookies”), to assist in collecting this information.
Automatically collected information may include:
Technical Device and Browser Data, which includes, your Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our Sites (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), search terms, type of device used, device or advertising identifiers, statistical identifiers, browser, operating system, and date/time stamp.
Usage Data, which includes your interaction with our Site such as movement, scrolling, time spent on certain features or actions, and/or clickstream data to analyze trends in the aggregate and administer and improve the Sites.
Location Data, which may be a physical address or general location information (i.e., region or city and state).
The third parties we use to collect this data include advertising or analytics companies (e.g., Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel).
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may collect information about you, including updated contact information and demographic information (to the extent permitted by, and in accordance with, applicable law) such as age bracket, income bracket, gender, marital status, ethnicity, political party affiliation, languages spoken, household information, lifestyle and interest information from third parties such as advertising networks, data brokers or social media platforms. We may also receive information about you from other users, such as contact information for gifts or “refer-a-friend” types of features.
Information from Suppliers, Vendors, Business Partners, and Similar Businesses (and Representatives Thereof)
If you are a company or other organization that we engage with, or a representative of the foregoing, we may collect:
- Contact and Business Information, including name, phone number, email address, and postal address, government identifier, and business name, industry, locations, other information related to your employer, and any other information you choose to provide us, including through third-party portals and platforms.
- Financial and Transactional Information, if we need to make payments to you or receive payments from you, including financial account and related transactional information.
- Communications Information including information such as your name, email address, and phone number and the contents of any communications you have with us.
2. HOW IS YOUR INFORMATION USED AND DISCLOSED?
Our Use of Your Information
We may use or disclose your information for these purposes:
- To authenticate users
- To maintain and administer the Site and user accounts
- To process and fulfill transactions and respond to customer requests
- To analyze the Site, monitor Site performance and diagnose Site issues
- To perform customer service and troubleshoot customer service calls about difficulty using the Site
- To improve the Site and develop new features and products
- To send email marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, and events, of ours and of others
- To personalize customer’s experience of our Site based on user interests and history with us (for example, remembering items in a shopping cart, or providing a consistent Site experience across multiple devices)
- To provide location-based services
- To match your information with other data or supplement your information with other data that we may obtain directly or through third parties
- When you otherwise consent to a particular usage
- To protect our rights and property and the rights, property, and safety of others
- To investigate suspected fraud or other unlawful activity
- Where otherwise permitted or required by applicable law.
We may disclose your information to:
Our vendors and subcontractors may access your information to provide services for us, including: fulfilling orders and delivering packages, payment processing, providing customer service, hosting and serving content and general website operations, sending marketing communications, fulfilling subscription services, and conducting research and analysis. These vendors and subcontractors can only use your information as specifically allowed by us.
Affiliates, Promotional Partners and Other Third Parties
If you are not situated in the United Kingdom (UK) or the European Union (EU), and to the extent permitted by law, we may allow our affiliates and promotional partners to use your Personal Information for their marketing and related purposes, including our co-sponsor(s), if we receive Personal Information through a contest, sweepstakes, offering or other activity that is jointly offered by us.
Targeted Advertising Partners
We may transfer your information in connection with or in contemplation of a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business; and due diligence related to these events.
If you have consented to our disclosure of your information for other purposes not listed above, we will also disclose your information consistent with your consent.
We may share anonymized data with others, for their own use, in a form that does not include your name or contact information.
3. YOUR RIGHTS & CHOICES
Privacy Rights & Choices
Data Access, Correction and Deletion Through Account Controls
You can review, change or delete certain of your information in your user account on the Site (if you have one) by logging in to “My Account” or a similar area of the Site.
Data Privacy Rights
Your local laws (such as those in California, Colorado, Virginia, the UK and the EU) may entitle you (or your authorized agent) to exercise certain rights with respect to the information we collect from and about you.
Specifically, you may have the right to ask us to:
- Inform you about the categories of personal information we collect or disclose about you; the categories of sources of such information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information; and the categories of third parties with whom we disclose personal information.
- Provide you access to and/or a copy of certain personal information we hold about you.
- Correct or update personal information we hold about you.
- Delete certain personal information we have about you.
- Provide you with information about the financial incentives that we offer to you, if any.
- Opt you out of the processing of your personal information for purposes of profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects, if applicable.
As provided in applicable law, you may also have the right to not be discriminated against for exercising your rights.
Residents of the UK and EU also have the right to:
- Object to processing of your Personal Information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party), including where we process such data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your Personal Information in certain scenarios.
- Request the transfer of your Personal Information to you or to a third party.
- If we are relying on your consent to process your Personal Information, you have the right to withdraw your consent.
Please note that your rights vary depending upon your location, and that we may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request as required or permitted by applicable law. Certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. For example, we need certain types of information so that we can provide you with access to the Site and the services available through it, or to comply with a legal obligation. In some circumstances, if you still ask us to delete your information, you may no longer be able to access or use our Site.
If you or your authorized agent would like further information regarding your legal rights or would like to exercise any of them, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Depending on applicable law, you may have the right to appeal our decision to deny your request, if applicable. To exercise such an appeal right, contact us at email@example.com. We may also provide you with an appeals form to complete when your request is denied.
Opt Out Choices: Marketing Communications, Sale of Personal Information, Targeted Advertising, Cookies, Analytics and Device Settings
Opt Out of Marketing Communications from Us
You can opt out of receiving marketing emails from us by clicking on the opt-out link in those emails. You will still receive transaction emails from us.
Sale of Personal Information and Targeted Advertising
Residents of certain states such as California, Colorado and Virginia may opt out of the “sale” of their personal information or the “sharing” or processing of their personal information for targeted advertising. Targeted advertising is when we or our partners display ads to you based on your personal information that is collected across different businesses. We allow third parties on our Site to receive certain information such as cookies, IP address, device identifiers, browsing behavior and/or other activity to enable the delivery of targeted advertising about the Services to you. This activity is processing for targeted advertising and may be considered a sale under applicable law.
All users can opt-out of targeted advertising from certain providers at www.aboutads.info/consumers, http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ and https://www.edaa.eu/.
You may still receive advertising on other sites and services, it just may not be tailored to your interests. Please note, if you use different browsers, devices, or services, you will need to opt out on each browser or device where you want the choice to apply. You may also be presented with a form field to complete, in which case we ask for your email address or other information so we may add it to an appropriate suppression list.
Opt Out Choices for Cookies, Analytics, and Certain Device Settings
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Some of our mobile applications may require or request access to certain features of your device. Such permissions may include location, camera, photos, microphone and Wi-Fi or cellular connection information. You can manage access to those features through device settings or through your mobile service provider or device manufacturer.
Do Not Track
Please note, except as provided herein, we do not respond to or honor “do not track” (a/k/a/ DNT) signals transmitted by web browsers. For more information about “do not track”, go to https://allaboutdnt.com/.
4. SECURITY AND RETENTION
We follow generally accepted standards designed to protect your information and have in place appropriate security measures designed to prevent your information from being accidentally lost or used or accessed in an unauthorized way. We use appropriate security measures while your information is in transit and at rest, including encryption. You can verify whether a website is secure by looking for “https” at the beginning of the web address of the Site page you are on.
No website, however, can guarantee that information will be absolutely safe from intrusion or other unauthorized access. Except as expressly required by applicable statute or regulation, we will have no liability for disclosure of information due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties during or after transmission.
5. THIRD PARTY WEBSITES, APPS AND SERVICES
We use social networking platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, to communicate with our customers and integrate social networking services with our Site. Information you voluntarily submit to or post in a publicly accessible social network or other online forum may be viewed and used by others. Our Site may also contain links, banners or ads that lead to other third party sites, apps or services. We cannot control such third party uses of your information, so by using or navigating to those services, you assume that risk.
We encourage you to read the policies and terms of every web site, app or service you visit.
6. CONTACT US
MiJa Books Inc. is the data controller of all Personal Information and Personal Data collected through the Site. You may contact us at:
Phone: (888) 801-6452