MiJa Books is so excited to announce our new partnership with The Book Foundation!
To build a more equitable society, The Book Foundation promotes literacy by placing new books into the hands and homes of low-income and under-resourced children and young people. They share our mission of providing titles that are relevant, diverse and multicultural.
Read below to learn how to make your MiJa Books purchase fully tax-deductible! You’ll be supporting our small, family-owned business and donating to a great cause, it’s a WIN-WIN!
How you can support Mija Books and The Book Foundation:
- Browse our collection of books and add the desired titles to your cart.
- At checkout, enter your billing information. Scroll down and select “Donate to The Book Foundation” under shipping options.
3. Enter your payment information and click “Place Order.”
4. We’ll take care of the rest!
- You will receive a donation receipt for your purchase amount via email directly from The Book Foundation.
- All donated books will be placed aside at our warehouse.
- Every quarter, MiJa Books will personally deliver the donations to The Book Foundation offices, located at 5429 W. Washington Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90016.
Be sure to follow us on Instagram @mijabooks! We’ll post pics of our donation haul every quarter. If you DM us on Instagram with your order number, we’ll give you a special shoutout to show our appreciation for your support.
More about The Book Foundation:
The Book Foundation program was launched in 2014 by former Hollywood producer and social entrepreneur, Ruth Stalford. To create a more equitable society, the idea was simple; get new books into the hands of children in underserved areas. The research was clear, children growing up in homes with no books are “on average” three years behind children in homes with lots of books. And in low-income areas the ratio of books to children is 1 to 300. Literacy is the key to opening doors and creating opportunity.
The work of the Book Foundation program was simple, direct and immediate. Ruth’s passion was contagious, and like-minded organizations quickly wanted to partner with The Book Foundation. One of Ruth’s pet peeves in the non-profit world has always been duplication of effort. So her goal early on became to partner with organizations who were best of breed, and where The Book Foundation could provide incremental impact and thus enhance each other’s programs.
They deliver their literacy program through two models.
1. They create permanent lending Book Nook installations in environments that serve a high concentration of vulnerable and underserved communities. Title 1 Charter Schools, Foster Family agencies, supported housing programs and more.
2. They directly distribute books and Book Bundles at events.
Since 2014, The Book Foundation program has given away more 300,000 books to more than 75,000 young people.
Their partner at The Children’s Bureau reports that since the installation of their Book Nook concept they have seen a dramatic increase in the percentage of parents reading to their children multiple times per week.
Prior to their book nook installation, only 22% of parents read to their children at least five days per week. This past year, 46% of parents read to their children at least five times per week.
Visit them online at: thebookfoundation.org